Infographic: Where to Find Steals & Get Rid of Junk

Moving to a new apartment can be overwhelming. Finding a new place, signing a lease, planning the move…and don’t forget packing! That’s probably the worst part! The good news is that The Move is a great time to purge yourself of things you don’t need. Plus, if you have some nice things to leave behind, you can probably make a few bucks at your local consignment store or online!

As you pack, comb through all of your belongings. Open boxes in your closet that haven’t been touched, try on all of your old clothing to see if it is still your style, and shred old documents that you’re sure you don’t need any more. Instead of hoarding your stuff, think of it as just that: stuff! Most of the time, your hoarded belongings are going to cause you more trouble than the good they provide, especially when you move. Think to yourself: do I really want to wrap it in packing paper, put it in a box, put the box in a truck, move it into your new place, and unwrap it…? Moving junky stuff really doesn’t seem worth it, does it?

But…do you need help deciding what should come to your new place and what you should leave behind? Here are some general guidelines:

  • Things that are broken: 95% of the time, get rid of it. There’s no point in hauling broken items to a brand new place. The other 5% of the time is only relevant if it’s easy (and cheap!) to fix, and you have to really need it. That’s going to be infrequent, though, because if you need it badly & it’s a cheap and easy fix, you would have done it by now!
  • Things that are old: This one’s 50-50% keep and get rid of. Some old things are great, from furniture that’s in good shape to old decor that you love. The key here is to be honest with yourself on if you like it or not and if you truly picture it in your new home. If the answer is yes, make sure to pack it carefully and move it with you! If not, though, consider donations or selling it for cash.
  • Things that don’t fit: When it comes to clothes, if it doesn’t fit, you don’t need it, especially in a move. If it’s just slightly too tight or big, bring it with you. But, if you haven’t used it in a year and can’t imagine squeezing into it again, do yourself a huge favor and donate it to someone who needs it.

get rid of junk

Related Posts

Author My First Apartment
Sarah

Posted by

Sarah is a dog lover and advocate for conversation & laughing at your own jokes. Since finishing her college career in communications, she began working (and living) in Atlanta. After living in a few different apartments over the last few years, she's ready to share experiences. Stay tuned for adventures, tips and advice!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *