Sodastream Review & Giveaway: Make Soda At Home!
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR GIVEAWAY WINNER GINA M MADDOX. THANKS TO ALL PARTICIPANTS FOR GREAT COMMENTS AND POST IDEAS!
We’re always searching for great new products to help make apartment living just a touch easier, what with all the walkups and tiny spaces where we dwell.
Recently, we came across the Jet Sodastream – a rad machine that essentially makes carbonating water a cinch. All you need to do is fill your Jet Sodastream bottle with regular H2O, screw it into the machine, press the fizz button three times and. . .voila! You’re got a glass of sparkling water, aka seltzer. Or add flavoring and you’ve got soda.
Does it live up to the hype? Let’s see:
1. It’s super quick. Between the time you decide you want a glass of fizzy water, until the time you have it, it’s about a minute and a half – TOPS. (The promotional video on the bottom right of their website gives an accurate depiction of how to use it.) This is a lot faster that running to the corner bodega for your Diet Whatever fix and you don’t need to change out of your PJs!
2. Their advertisements are right: you save money by not having to repeatedly buy bottles of fizzy water or soda. I’ve probably had twenty glasses this past week and paid exactly zero dollars. (DISCLAIMER: Sodastream gave MyFirstApartment a free review product)
4. You can control the carbonation, which means that if you love it super fizzy, you can have it that way. Or, barely fizzy. Totally owner’s preference.
5. The various syrups (Pink Lemonade, Root Beer, Soda, etc) are, by and large, tasty. It depends, of course, which you like. Personally, I enjoy just a hint of flavor (think LaCroix), so my favorites are the “essences”, particularly raspberry. Delish!
1. In order to create the carbonated water, you need to click the bottle into the machine, and it’s surprisingly difficult – you almost need three hands for this, one to hold the carbonator at 45 degree angle, one to line up the bottle, and then one to fine-tune the lineup and start screwing the bottle in. Last I checked, I don’t have three hands though I was able to, with some jiggering and attention, do it with two. The difference between doing this easily and doing it the way they have it now is only about ten seconds max, but it still could be easier.
2. If you love a particular type of soda (like say, Dr. Pepper), this won’t replace it. The flavors are good, and the fizz is great, but if you have a deep need for DP, that’s likely not going to disappear. (Although, I might say that’s your problem, not Sodastream’s. JK.)
3. You can’t wash the re-useable bottle in anything but cold water. I wonder why that is. Is it because if it touches hot water, something bad happens? I don’t know, but it’s a little unsettling to drink from something that can’t touch hot water.
If you like carbonated water (aka seltzer) or soda, and find yourself always buying it at the grocery store, it’s probably time to buy a carbonator. In the long term, you’ll save money, and you can have a supply of your favorite beverage on a moment’s notice – plus, drinking plain ol’ water is good for you, so if this is a way to get you to do it, all the better.
Sodastream is a good carbonator that does its job, is relatively cheap, and is easy to use (point number 1 in CONS notwithstanding). So, seriously, look into it.
In fact…ENTER OUR JET SODASTREAM giveaway! Yep, that’s right, we want to share the fizzy love!
Tell us either what’s your favorite apartment product OR what general topic you’d like My First Apartment to write about in the future — do this in the “comments” section below. Brownie points if you like us on Facebook and share your comment there! The winner of a brand-new Sodastream will be picked at random from all the commenters. Deadline is February 5.