Two weeks ago we gave you the top 10 additional things you should make sure to get for your first apartment. Then, a reader(Hey Jim!) wrote that we never gave you the first 10 important apartment items. Lo siento, Amigos. But, it’s not too late — read on if you are having concerns about what absolutely essential apartment items you need to start a happy and healthy home life.
1) Bed. Seriously, get rid of that air mattress. Oh, it’s comfortable? Yeah, I’m not buying it. NYC has a bed bug problem so I wouldn’t advise Craigslist, but for other cities I def would. I sold my $600 bed in Chicago after 1.5 years for $175. It was a great bed and of course I used a mattress cover, mattress pad, and sheets the entire time I used it to so it was totally clean. Other cheaper options are a futon and/or bed store floor model (that people DO touch, so I’d choose the Craigslist route instead.) Scared about shopping for that bed? Here’s a link to my advice on getting the best deal from the mattress salesman.
2) Smoke Alarm. Fires are Bad. ‘Nuff said. (Your landlord is responsible for providing this, but you are responsible for checking and making sure he/she is living up o their part of the bargain).
3) CO Alarm (=carbon monoxide detector) (see #2)
4) Couch. Sitting on the floor or on card table chairs might seem like an okay way to begin apartment life. It’s uncomfortable. And, not homey. Why start your new apt life like that? You can find a cheapish couch at IKEA and you’ll be so happy you did!
5) Plates and silverware. Homes don’t have paper plates and that’s what you’re building or yourself. Plus, it’s bad for the environment.
6) Dishsoap. Caus, you’ll be keeping those plates for awhile!
7) TV. IT’S LOST FINAL SEASON. You COULD watch on your computer but OMG how can you wait that extra day til it’s on Hulu?
8) Lamp(s). It’s pretty amazing how soft light can change a space for the better. Be sure to also get a bedside table lamp so you don’t bang any toes while getting into bed.
9) Cleaning Materials + Paper Towels/TP. When you move into a new apt, it’s likely that whoever was there before you did an “OK” job but you’ll likely want to do your own scrubbing — before all the furniture is in place.
10) Additional necessary furniture. Bedside tables, Dining Room table, Chairs, TV Stand, Kitchen Cart, Bookcase, Desk, Desk Chair, Bathroom Cart.
Of course, there are other items you’ll require (and they are all included in our Checklists) but this list should do you pretty well! Feel free to add other items in comments:)